1. Trump Administration Plans to Open U.S. Coastlines to Drilling
2. Trump Administration Proposes to Kill Offshore Oil and Gas Drilling Safeguards
4. Will Jellyfish Take Over the Oceans?
5. Oceanic and Oxygen-Starved Dead Zones Have Quadrupled
6. Phytoplankton, Source of Half the World’s Oxygen, Threatened Due to Climate Change
Phytoplankton, the plants of the sea, bloomed following Hurricanes Irma and Harvey. But with climate change, the producers of half the oxygen we breathe are in danger. Warmer sea temperatures lead to less phytoplankton growth than in cooler areas. “Gradually warming ocean waters have killed off phytoplankton globally by a staggering 40 percent since 1950.” “They’re tremendously important. They’re at the very bottom of the food chain, and what happens at the bottom impacts everybody,” says Andrew Barton, oceanographer and associate research scholar at Princeton University.
7. Rare Intersex Shark Found Off Taiwan Coast
Be sure to “LIKE” http://facebook.com/SeaSave to ensure our “Week in Review” is delivered to your newsfeed every Friday.
Sea Save Foundation is committed to raising awareness of marine conservation. The Week in Review is a team effort produced by the Sea Save staff to provide a weekly summary of the latest in marine research, policy, and news.